A few essential tips to help you buy the perfect wireless router
Wireless routers are quite a versatile Internet access devices since they function as a router as well as like a wireless access point. Wireless routers are not only used for Internet connection, but they can be used for private computer networks as well. Among the various advantages of wireless routers are there portability, ability to connect to multiple devices, and the convenience of use.
If you are planning to buy a wireless router for your home or business, here are a few points to help you out.
Which are the popular brands of wireless routers?
- There are different brands of wireless routers that are suitable for different types of usage.
- Netgear Orbi is one of the popular wireless router brands for home coverage.
- For homes with larger spaces, Linksys AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Router is quite a popular and well-known wireless router.
- ASUS RT-ACRH13 Dual-Band 2×2 AC1300 is often a recommended wireless router for smaller apartments and homes.
- For people who use the Internet for streaming, Netgear AC1750 Smart WiFi Router is a popular brand.
- Gamers often choose ASUS T-AC88U as their wireless router.
What are the factors to look for while buying a wireless router for home?
- Determine the number of devices you would like to connect to your home wireless router.
- The type of wireless router you want to install in your home also depends on in the major usage of your Internet service, that is, what you do with your Internet service for most of the time.
- Decide your budget and how much you are willing to spend every month on your Internet bill.
- The area of your living space and how much of this area you want the wireless router to cover.
- Determine whether the router will be in an open space or hidden.
What are the parameters to look for when buying a wireless router for business?
- Determine the usage pattern of your business. This includes the number of PCs that will be connected to the wireless router and whether you will require remote access features.
- Decide if you would like to have security features and advanced data protection that is offered by some of the high-end models of wireless routers.
- Check the type of connectivity you want, wireless or wired.
- Depending on the size of your business and scope for expansion, decide whether you want a wireless router with a single WAN port or a dual WAN port.
- Decide whether you want additional features such as content filtering, guest wireless network, built-in wireless, and so on.
What are the different types of wireless routers?
- Single-band wireless routers – These are based on the 802.11b and 802.11g standards. These use the 2.4GHz band and are often referred to as single-band wireless routers.
- Dual-band wireless routers – These wireless routers are based on 802.11n standard and work on 2.4GHz as well as 5GHz bands. Hence, they are also referred to as dual-band wireless routers.
- Single WAN wireless routers – These are wireless routers that have a single WAN port to connect to the Internet.
- Dual WAN wireless routers – These wireless routers have two WAN ports. If one fails due to a technical glitch, the other one can be used. This avoids dependency.
What are dead spots?
- A wireless dead spot or dead zone is a spot or area where it is difficult to get a wireless signal.
- Dead spots those areas in a house or office space where the signals from wireless router do not work.
- This can happen due to interference or obstruction caused by an object or another device.
- Dead spots are completely fixable by repositioning the router, its antennas, the objects causing obstruction or interference or by setting up a wireless repeater or a wired connection.
Are there are warranties provided with wireless routers?
- Yes, wireless routers are always accompanied by hardware warranties.
- The duration of the warranty differs depending on the manufacturer.