Are you keen on adopting a dog? Here’s how you can
Not everyone needs a group of friends to keep them company; a cute little furry friend can fit the bill perfectly as well. Dogs are one of the most-favorite domesticated animals that you can ever come across. They say, ‘a dog is a man’s best friend,’ and true to this statement; we come across many “doggos” and “puppers” on the different social media sites who accompany their human partners for a backpacking tour.
Of late, various animal-welfare NGOs and animal shelters have started urging people to “adopt and not shop.” If you are keen on giving a deprived stray a second chance to live, here are some things you need to know.
Where can one adopt a dog from?
- Earlier it was a trend to buy puppies of exotic breed at exorbitant costs, and these were mostly bought from pet dealers.
- However, recently, various NGOs that work for animal welfare causes have been urging people to opt for dog adoptions instead of buying one from a pet shop. The intention behind this is quite noble since the dogs and cats that aren’t adopted are euthanized. So, to save innocent lives, the NGOs urge people to adopt dogs and cats from shelters.
- These are the conventional methods of dog adoption. If you ever find a stray dog in need of rescue or you simply find a stray puppy in your neighborhood, you can adopt it right away. No legal formalities are involved in this process of dog adoption.
How to apply for dog adoption?
- These days the procedure of dog adoptions is similar to that of adopting a child.
- You have to visit the animal shelter and choose the dog that you are going to adopt.
- You have to fill up all the right details. After getting done with the paperwork and paying some nominal fees, you have a new member in your family.
How much does a dog adoption cost?
- The main purpose of urging people to choose dog adoption instead of buying one is to help save the animal’s life. So, usually, dog shelters don’t charge money if you adopt a dog from their shelter.
- However, certain adoption centers will charge you a nominal fee of $200-$400 for adopting a dog.
- If you buy a dog from a breeder or a pet shop, it might cost around $2,000-$3,000, depending on the dog’s breed.
Which are the smallest dog breeds that are up for dog adoptions?
There are a plethora of dog breeds in the world, and each differs from the next in terms of size, temperament, and intelligence. People often opt for small breed dogs for dog adoptions since they find them cuddly and friendlier than the others. These are the popular small breed dogs that people usually adopt.
- Yorkshire Terrier
- French Bulldog
- Border Terrier
- Tibetan Spaniel
- Italian Greyhound
Which are the largest dog breeds that can be adopted?
Large dogs, though look intimidating, are known to be quite gentle. If you wish to adopt a dog of the larger breed, here’s a list of larger breeds of dogs that are known to be the perfect family dogs.
- Great Dane
- German Shorthaired Pointer
- Bernese Mountain Dog
- Labrador Retriever
- Golden Retriever
- German Shepherd
- Standard poodle
What are the diseases against which the newly-adopted has to be vaccinated?
Like humans, dogs too are prone to diseases. Like children have their vaccinations scheduled, dogs too have vaccinations scheduled. There are certain diseases that dogs are vulnerable to, and the vaccinations are supposed to keep these diseases at bay. Here are the diseases that dogs need to be vaccinated against.
- Hookworm infection
- Dry eye syndrome
- Gastric dilatation volvulus
- Flea and Tick-borne disease
So, adopt don’t shop, and lend a new lease of life to an innocent animal.