Vacation rental sites for owners – Here’s what you need to know
Owning a vacation home is a dream come true! However, some individuals might question the purpose of having one as they are barely able to spend any time in their second homes. Due to the inability to make the most of it, buying a property for infrequent visits might seem redundant in the long run. Therefore, as time passes, owning a vacation home can seem to be more of a liability than an asset, forcing some owners to ultimately sell it. If you can identify with this situation, we want you to know that there’s a simple remedy to it. What? Putting up your vacation home to good use, i.e., as a vacation rental.
Vacation rental by owners has become a popular real estate option in the past few years among both owners and renters. Read further to know how you too can become a part of it.
What are the different types of vacation rental sites for owners?
At the moment, there are three main types of vacation rental sites. You can choose the one based on the features you require.
- Paid, which are mostly subscription based
- Pay-per-booking, i.e., commission based
There are no standard fees for subscriptions and commissions. Every vacation rental site’s pricing strategy will vary according to the type of services they offer.
What aspects should you consider before putting your vacation home on a rental site?
Before putting up your vacation home on a rental site, you need to decide on certain factors to avoid any miscommunication later.
- Frequency- Have a rough estimate about how many times you intend to rent the vacation home in a year or every few months. If you are new with this type of business or seem unsure, then take it slow. Rather than considering a lot of offers, in the beginning, settle with only a few rentals, and rent the home only three to four times in a year.
- Purpose- It is important to know what purpose your vacation home will serve. Will it purely be a vacation rental? Or do you want to utilize it as a personal space as well? If you are planning to exploit it for rental as well as personal use, then you will need to juggle your schedules, so that you can accommodate both the objectives.
- Renting periods- If you wish to use the vacation home just as a rental property then leasing it during peak seasons or holidays shouldn’t be an issue. However, if you fancy spending time with family and friends over the holidays or summers, then you should consider keeping those slots of the year reserved for personal use.
How to generate a good revenue from a vacation home?
As an owner, if your aim is to make the most out of your vacation home by generating maximum revenue, then you can follow the tips mentioned below.
- Being active across the best vacation rental sites
- Maintaining a written record of listings and updating calendars
- Being highly responsive to the renter’s queries as well as feedback
- Modifying the vacation rental prices according to the seasons
What does one need for listing their property on a vacation rental site?
For inducing maximum response for your vacation rental property, you will need the following things while putting up the listings.
- A visual peek- One of the most essential factors that can help generate interest among potential renters are high-quality images and a video tour of your vacation property. You can hire a professional photographer to do the job if you feel that photos from your phone or an ordinary camera aren’t doing justice.
- Property description- Make sure that the description you write for the vacation home is elaborate and catchy enough to engage the potential renters. Apart from describing the home, also mention what attractions surround the property to increase the renter’s interest levels.
Tags – vacation rental sites owner, vacation rentals by owner