The preliminaries to selling your house quickly
Before you list your house for sale, it is essential that you take care of the preliminaries. You can find a lot of tips on how to sell your house fast. This guide intends to help you with the initial stage of preparations to sell your house quickly. You should start the following preparations as early as possible.
How overcome emotional association with the home?
- This is the first step as most people have an emotional association with a house they have lived in for some years.
- Slowly say goodbye to the house in your mind, to each room if necessary.
- Let go of the emotional attachment, and focus on the practical.
- If your children are upset about the move, help them let go too, and encourage them to look forward to the new home.
- If you are moving somewhere far, letting go of the attachment with neighbors and friends is difficult, especially so for children.
- Find ways to keep in touch and aid your children in doing the same.
The above two steps are important because your emotional attachments may make you delay listing your house for sale, make you hesitant while showing your house to potential buyers, and prevent you from putting in the effort and enthusiasm necessary to sell a house fast.
Have you taken care of major repairs?
- Do you have a roof that needs fixing, a major problem in plumbing, cracked walls, faults in the heating system? These are problems you can identify yourself, and you need to fix them fast.
- If you are not sure, arrange for a home inspection much before your house goes on the market. Read the report, and hire good workmen to take care of all the requisite repairs.
- A house that is in good condition will command a much better price.
Have you cleared the clutter?
- A house that looks messy and crammed will not appeal to anyone, least of all potential buyers.
- Hire a storage unit and begin packing items that you don’t use, seasonal clothing, extra kitchen utensils, and furniture, etc.
- Remove photographs, trophies, framed awards, certificates, etc as these state loudly that this is your home. You want to depersonalize the house and encourage the buyer to think of this as their home.
Have you cleaned the house?
- Potential buyers want to see a clean and neat house. So, just before listing the house, clean every room, every corner, every storage space, beds, appliances, carpets, etc.
- Clean up the bathroom, fix any leaky faucets, clean up the grout and any stains.
- Deep clean the kitchen to make it look sparkling.
- Wash your curtains and clean the countertops.
- After this one deep cleaning, clean the house regularly to keep it looking neat.
How to give the impression of more space?
- Move the furniture around so that the rooms look big and spacious.
- Clean your wardrobes, closets, kitchen cabinets, etc. and rearrange your clothes, books, and other personal possessions.
- Ensure that your wardrobes, closets, and cabinets look neat and have extra space to hold more items.
- Remember, buyers will open and inspect storage spaces. If you keep them neat, it is one more point in your favor.
Have you considered a small remodeling and minor fixes?
- Replace chipped door handles, replace cracked floor-boards, and repaint your house if necessary. These fixes will make your house more attractive.
- Replace old lights and make sure everything works.
- Hang bright curtains, see that the blinds and shades work well, and the curtains pull back smoothly to avoid embarrassing hiccups while showing the house.
- Get an expert help to bring your kitchen up to date without too much expense. A new counter-top, new paint, a few fixes to the cabinets might be all that is necessary to make your kitchen look attractive to all potential buyers.
Are you ready with the paperwork?
- If you want to know how to sell your house fast, then you must know this: completing all paperwork is essential.
- Get your mortgage loan documents and title reports ready that help prove the property is free of encumbrances.
- Keep at hand the deed that verifies your ownership of the property, and up-to-date tax, and homeowner insurance information.
- Getting together essential documents before you begin the process of selling your house makes the process go quickly and without any hitches.
Before you put up the sale sign, take care of the above-mentioned tips, as they would help speed up the process of selling the house fast.